The holiday season is swiftly approaching. You may be thinking about how you want to decorate this year and the parties you plan to host. An important part of your planning is with your electrical system to make sure everything is in top shape to handle the extra load. You want to celebrate with the peace of mind that your home and guests will be safe. Here are some things that can happen if your system is not in top shape, the benefits of maintaining your electrical system, and 5 tips to prepare your home’s electrical system for the coming holidays.
Here are some electrical setback pains you could experience if your system is not maintained:
- Power Surges – High electrical activity in your home can cause power surges. If there are many electrical appliances, lights, and other electrical devices continuously cycling off and on, it puts a strain on the system that may lead to a power surge. Adding electric holiday decorations will add to the strain and may guarantee a power surge. Power surges can cause damage to appliances and electronics.
- Electric Bill – The winter season is often a time for higher electric bills, and adding electric holiday decorations will increase the cost of your electricity. Making sure your electrical system is running in top shape will help decrease wasted power. Another way to help reduce the costs during the holidays is to use LED holiday lights.
- House Fire and Injuries – House Fire and Injuries – Unfortunately, electrical systems that are not maintained can cause house fires and injuries. The Red Cross reports nearly 47,000 fires happen during the winter holiday season. Many of these fires are due to outdated and older outlets that are not properly grounded and unable to protect the system against sparks, shocks, or electrocution. Often, people that have older systems will use plug strips for additional outlet needs instead of contacting an electrician to add additional outlets. Plug strips can add to an overloaded system, which can end in disaster.
Benefits of Maintenance
Your home electrical system will benefit from maintenance, which means you and your loved ones will also benefit from the safety it brings.
- Cost Efficiency – Keeping your system running in top shape and switching to LED lights will help increase your electrical efficiency and decrease your electrical costs.
- Power Surges – With your electrical system running in top shape, you will be less likely to have power surges that can damage your electronics or appliances.
- Safety – You will have the peace of mind that your property is protected and your friends and family will be safe from accidental fire or electrocution.
For all of your electrical needs, call the experts at Wave Electric! We’re ready to help you today.