In every electrical circuit, there’s an active wire that carries the electricity and a neutral wire that carries the power back. An additional ‘grounding wire’ can be attached to outlets, various electrical devices, and the ground via a breaker box. The ground wire acts as a safe path for electricity to run in the event of a short circuit. In the event of a short circuit, the ground wire will trip the circuit breaker or blow a fuse, which is much more preferable to the dangerous shock that would occur otherwise. Call on us and we’ll be able to install a grounding wire that can protect you, your electronics, and your home.
Five big reasons to have a grounding wire are:
- Redirecting electrical overload. If lightning strikes your house or your power surges for some other reason, your system will have a dangerously high amount of voltage in the system. A grounded system will safely send all that electricity into the earth, protecting your electronics from damage.
- Directing electricity. Even when there isn’t a problem, ground wires can make it easier to direct power to where it needs to go. This will let electrical currents safely and effectively travel through your system.
- Stabilizing voltage levels. Having a grounded electrical system can also make it easier to keep voltage levels balanced, preventing circuits from becoming overloaded and blown.
- The Earth is a great conductor. Excess electricity always takes the path of least resistance, and the Earth offers a safe way for that electricity to leave your home. When entering the Earth, the electricity dissipates harmlessly, which could be a literal lifesaver.
- Protecting you from damage and injury. Without a properly grounded electrical system, you’re risking the health of your electronics as well as your own. Overloads can do a variety of nasty things like frying circuits, starting fires, or giving painful or lethal shocks.
Why is Wave Electric Company one of the best electricians in the area?
Wave Electric Company has provided electrical service to the New Jersey area for over 25 years. We could say we offer 100% satisfaction, but we prefer to go beyond expectations. When your home gets service from us, we aim to provide the best. We have upfront pricing, same-day service for calls before 2 PM, and much more. Call us today for any of your electrical needs!